Fundamentals of lighting and lighting design
By T Bond, ACDC Dynamics
Electricity+Control, April 2014 (pages 22-24)
Read the full article on Fundamentals of lighting and lighting design in PDF format.
Lighting design generally considers the following main factors:
- Whether the lighting is required for indoor or outdoor purposes
- Whether it will be in a safe or hazardous area
- The required illumination level necessary for the task to be performed
- The working plane level at which the recommended or required lux is to be achieved
- The type of lamps to be used and their lumen outputs
- Mounting height and provisions available
- The uniformity to be achieved
- The colour rendition acceptable for the task
This article takes you through the correct process of assessing your lighting design requirements.
- The selection of lighting should not be taken for granted.
- Factors to consider for lighting design include whether it is indoor or outdoor lighting and whether the area is safe or hazardous.
- A calculated lighting solution is the best solution.