Energy saving – in comfort
Among the findings in a white paper on the measurement and management of energy performance in office buildings, there is confirmation of the ‘massive’ advancement of energy efficiency activity between now and 2020. This advancement includes the implementation of solutions developed in positive energy buildings that are linked to a project management approach that is better suited to new buildings or refurbishment projects.
Targets will include:
- Eco-Management targets: Energy management, water management, waste management and servicing and maintenance management;
- Comfort targets: Hygrothermal comfort, acoustic comfort, visual comfort and olfactory comfort;
- Health targets: Healthy spaces, healthy air quality and healthy water quality.
- Buildings are likely to stimulate approximately half of the energy supply investments made over the next 20 years.
- Buildings currently account for about 40% of primary energy usage in most countries including South Africa.
- The role of a BEMS (Building Energy Management System) is to save energy but to also ensure a comfortable working environment.
Published as: Buildings – among the five main energy consumers worldwide
By A Maharaj, Schneider Electric
Electricity+Control, November 2011 (pgs 94 – 96)