Keeping employees safe when working on electrical installations
By A Barwise, DEHN Protection South Africa
Electricity+Control, June 2014 (pages 34-35)
Read the full article on Keeping employees safe when working on electrical installations in PDF format.
Understanding and following the five best practice safety principles, as stated in EN 50110-1 will save lives, keeping employees safe, when performing electrical installations.
- Disconnect completely
- Secure against reconnection
- Verify that the installation is dead
- Carry out earthing and short-circuiting
- Provide protection against adjacent live parts
- Five best practice principles must be observed, keeping employees safe when working on electrical installations.
- Earthing and short-circuiting are the most important of the five best practice principles.
- Skipping any element of best practice safety principles can have tragic consequences.