Advanced decision support system for waste water treatment works
By A Schroder, Royal HaskoningSHV
Download full article
Electricity+Control, June 2013 (pages 18 – 19)
Email Alfred.email@example.com or Corporate@rhdhv.com
The Nereda wastewater treatment process, implemented at South Africa’s Gansbaai waste water treatment works (WWTW), is utilising an Aquasuite solution (ie the Nereda Controller) - with another similar installation in progress at Nereda WWTW at Wemmershoek near Franshoek. Some benefits:
- Operators are able to assess the operational state of the plant at a glance.
- Vast amounts of data are summarised and presented in real-time.
- Different WWTW of the same municipality can easily be compared in a uniform environment via the Web interface.
- The complete system is also monitored remotely by the suppliers from the Netherlands via a secure internet connection, and the purchase agreement includes one year’s remote support and optimisation of the model.
- Remember ‘expert systems’? They play a crucial role in assisting in difficult decision-making processes.
- Decision support systems are essential where complex processes, that can impact on the environment, are concerned.
- Integrating DSS and powerful HMI systems ensures a reliable situation.